I get the best ideas when I have food cravings.
Which, I guess, is my body’s natural way of telling me what essential nutrients I need — particularly — protein, iron, fat, sodium, magnesium, etc.
Vegetarians and vegans, beware! I apologize in advance for the following statements:
Every so often, I have cravings for juicy, undercooked red meat. I get squit-y when my meat is overcooked and dry. I like it moo-ing at me from the plate. (Sorry. But it’s true)
This was the juiciest “muffin” I have ever gobbled down.
So thanks, carnivore cravings, for inspiring this meat-y recipe!
BACON WRAPPED MEATLOAF MUFFINS with SALSA SAUCE
Makes 12 meat muffins, which serves (at least) 4 grown, hearty meat-eaters
1 pckg bacon
2 lbs ground meat of your choice
1/2 cup coconut flour
Quick Salsa Sauce (or just used jarred salsa):
3/4 can crushed tomatoes
1/2 jar roasted red peppers
1/2 cup fresh parsley, cilantro, or basil, chopped
1/2 onion chopped
5 cloves garlic, pressed
1/2 – 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, if you like spice
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a muffin pan with … raw strips of bacon (so much better than “line with muffin cups” isn’t it?) Use the full strip, overlapping is ok. They will shrink as they cook.
- Bake just the bacon strips in the muffin pans for 20 minutes.
- In a large, separate bowl, mash together raw meat, eggs, and coconut flour.
- To make Salsa Sauce: Chop the onion, garlic, and parsley. Blend in tomatoes and red peppers. Add in thyme, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour about 3/4 of salsa into meat mixture and mash together.
- When bacon has cooked for 20 minutes, remove from oven and pack meat mixture inside the ring of bacon in muffin pan.
- Return to oven, baking an additional 25-30 minutes.
- Serve topped with reserved salsa.