I know, I know, I knowwwww…
You heard “brussel sprouts” and you gagged, involuntarily.
Honestly, every time I’ve had brussel sprouts (which is a new addiction) they’ve been fantastic.
I really don’t know how brussel sprouts got such a bad rap.
And I don’t know why they aren’t a more commonly eaten food — they’re a leafy green related to cabbage. I will presume this means they’re supremely healthy.
I will admit that they do smell kinda funny. And I’ve heard they can get mushy. Maybe people just don’t know how to prepare them?
Either way, use this recipe with some extra crumbled bacon on ’em and you’ll get over your fear quickly!
I served these for the first at Christmas. I made the mistake of not putting any actual crumbled bacon on them, just roasting them in bacon grease. The bacon flavor was too subtle.
After trying them with the addition of crumbled bacon, I can assure you there’s no going back.
But I’m sure you already guessed that. ;)
BACON BRUSSELS WITH TOASTED HAZELNUTS
- 1 stalk, or 2 lbs of brussel sprouts
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted (see below)
- bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 1/3 cup of bacon grease (if you don’t have enough, add butter)
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cook bacon. Set aside.
- Toast hazelnuts on a baking sheet in oven for about 6 minutes @ 350. Remove from pan (so they stop cooking) and set aside.
- Turn oven up to 475.
- Combine bacon grease, garlic, hot water, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add in brussel sprouts and toss to coat well. Transfer to 13×9 baking pan.
- Cover pan with tinfoil and cook for 10 minutes @ 475.
- Remove tinfoil from the sprouts and stir.
- Cook sprouts another 15 – 20 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until brussels start to brown.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the hazelnuts and crumble the bacon. Set aside.
- When sprouts are almost carmelized, remove from oven.
- Sprinkle with hazelnuts and crumbled bacon.
- Add additional salt & pepper, to taste.
inspired by this recipe from All Day I Dream About Food, one my favorite food blogs